Freedom is the power to preserve rectitude of will for its own sake.
Saint Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My first entry for 2012.... Better late than never.
Earlier in the spring I attended a poetry workshop at the University of Toronto, where I am currently pursuing a major in Medieval Studies. I was taking an economics class (of medieval times, of course) and by March the inevitable statistics had me so bogged down that I turned to poetry to save me from the doldrums.
The encounter with poetry got me inspired to write the following short poem:

Spring cadences are whistling through the night
The chilly winds - a knife edge to the soul
The past is hidden, over its darkened path
To keep the silence I do solemnly vow

The reins are pulsing, taut, the panting breath
Is rushing through the space, raspy and loud
No longer do I dream of cities fair
My heart is filled with fields and rolling mounts

Once river flow was measured by the eye
Once was the ear attuned to Eastern hum
Now feet are skimming, swift and light
The mossy undergrowth and boulders realm

What was amassed has long since gone to waste
What was expended was returned three-fold
As unannounced, joy has come to stay
And drowned sorrow in its boundless font

2 comments:

Family Affiars said...

What a brilliant poem - it reminds me of the one Harry read out for his competition - did you look at that - check it out there are the same references to moss and horses and a lovely rhythm too......Lx

Anna said...

Thanks a lot. I just looked up "The Listeners" - it's wonderful. It does have similar themes, you are right. Travelers, horses, ferny forests. Cool resonance.